Skip to Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions

To help you understand everything you need to know before applying, we have provided the answers to some of the questions we often get asked by prospective students.

If you don’t see the information you need or have follow-up questions please send us an email or contact us via one of our social media channels.

General Questions – All Applicants

What undergraduate engineering degrees do you offer?

We offer six undergraduate Bachelor of Engineering (BEng) degrees: 

  • Chemical Engineering
  • Civil Engineering
  • Electrical Engineering
  • Mechanical Engineering
  • Mechatronics Engineering
  • Software Engineering

What courses and grades do I need?

Please select the program you’re interested in to review all the admissions requirements.

Where are your campuses?

Our primary campus is in Thunder Bay, in Northwest Ontario where we offer all six of our undergraduate programs. Our Barrie Hub currently offers Electrical Engineering (High School pathway only), with more programs coming soon.

How do I apply?

If you are applying from a high school in Ontario, please use the Ontario Universities Application Centre (OUAC) 101 Application.

All other applicants – including college transfer students, students from other Canadian provinces/territories and international students – please apply via the Ontario Universities Application Centre (OUAC) 105 Application.

Before applying, please review all the steps in our How to Apply section.

What is the deadline to apply?

The deadline for Ontario high school students to submit their completed applications to the OUAC is in mid-January.

For college transfer students, we accept applications on a rolling basis throughout the year. We encourage you to apply at the earliest opportunity in your final year of college.

Are Lakehead’s engineering degrees accredited?

Yes. Our established BEng programs in Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Software Engineering are all accredited by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB).

Our Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering degrees have been accredited continuously since 1974 when Lakehead’s Faculty of Engineering was established.

Our Software Engineering degree has been accredited since 2002 when it was first introduced.

Our Electrical Engineering program in Barrie, delivered through the Lakehead-Georgian Partnership, received accreditation at the first opportunity in 2021.

Our newest BEng program, Mechatronics Engineering has been designed to meet all the CEAB accreditation standards and will be subject to accreditation after the first cohort of students has graduated.

What is accreditation and why is it important?

The process for accrediting an engineering program is undertaken by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB), a working Board of the Engineers Canada (EC) that sets the standards for the education and accreditation of engineering programs in Canada. Accreditation means that engineering graduates from the program have the academic qualifications necessary for registration as a professional engineer (P.Eng.) in Canada.

Accreditation of engineering degrees is important for a number of reasons. First, it ensures that engineering programs meet high standards of academic quality and rigor, and that graduates have the knowledge, skills, and competencies required for successful engineering practice. Accreditation also provides assurance to employers, professional associations, and the public that graduates of accredited engineering programs have met rigorous standards of education and are qualified to practice engineering. Accreditation also helps to facilitate the mobility of engineers across national and international borders, as accredited engineering programs are recognized as meeting the standards of other countries that are signatories to the Washington Accord.

What if I don’t have all the admissions requirements?

If you don’t have all the pre-requisites and grades – don’t worry. Our Pre-Eng program provides a one-year pathway for everyone, including applicants without all the admissions requirements, to enter any of our Bachelor of Engineering (BEng) programs.

Is there a common first year?

At Lakehead we don’t have a common first year – which means you will enter directly into your chosen engineering discipline in your first year.

What courses will I take in my first year?

Please check out the following links to view the “Academic Calendar” for each program, including a list of first year courses:

Do you offer BEng programs online?

All our programs are delivered in-person at our Thunder Bay campus or our Barrie Hub.

Can I apply to more than one Engineering program at Lakehead?

Yes, prospective students are welcome to apply to multiple programs. For college transfer students, we advise you to select the program that aligns most closely with your engineering technology diploma discipline. Please get in touch, and we can help you determine the best fit.

Can I study for my engineering degree part-time?

Yes. For students joining us via the high school pathway there is no time limit for the first two years of the BEng degree. After that, there is a four-year time limit to complete the rest of the degree, which allows students the option of a lower course load over a longer period.

Can I start in January?

High School pathway students have the option to start in January, although a limited number of courses are available so it may extend the overall length of the BEng degree program. College Transfer pathway students are required to complete the Summer Transition (College-to-University) program from mid-June to mid-August, and so typically begin their BEng program in September. 

Can I do a minor or dual degree?

There are many minors are available for engineering students, the most popular of which include Mathematics, Economics and Computer Science.

Don’t forget we are the only university in Canada where students also have the option to study for a Master’s in Business Administration (MBA) alongside their BEng. Students can begin their MBA during the fourth year of their BEng (second year for college transfer students) and stay for one additional academic year to graduate with both a BEng and MBA.

What are the tuition fees?

Please check here for the latest updated tuition and ancillary fees.

What scholarships are available for engineering students?

Whether you are joining us from high school or college, Lakehead University offers a full range of scholarships and bursaries.

What are the housing options?

You can check out all the information you need about housing and accommodation on the Lakehead University website.

What clubs can I join?

We have many different student clubs and societies that are a great way to meet new people, work on projects and gain new skills.

Do you have co-op?

Yes. We offer co-op with every undergraduate BEng degree.

Is co-op mandatory?

Co-op at Lakehead is optional. The only exception is our BEng Mechatronics Engineering program that requires students to complete at least one co-op placement.

Can I do an MBA at the same time as my BEng?

Yes! We are the only university in Canada that offers engineering students to study for a Master of Business Administration (MBA) at the same time as their Bachelor of Engineering (BEng) degree. You can begin your MBA courses in the final year of your BEng, and stay one extra academic year to graduate with both a BEng and an MBA.

Can I do research as an undergraduate?

Yes. The Faculty of Engineering is one of the strongest research units at Lakehead University. All students are required to take a project course in their final year and many students choose to work on research projects with the faculty member of their choice.

Do you offer graduate degrees?

Yes. We offer both Master’s and PhD programs.

How long does it take to become a Professional Engineer after I graduate?

In Ontario, to apply for a P.Eng. licence you are required to obtain a minimum of 48 months of acceptable, verifiable professional engineering experience. Further details are available on the PEO website. For other Canadian provinces and territories, please consult the Engineers Canada website.

Do I need a BEng degree to become a professional engineer?

An accredited Bachelor of Engineering (BEng) degree is the best and fastest route to becoming a professional engineer. Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO) provides a detailed overview of the application process.

What is the typical salary for a professional engineer in Canada?

The salaries of professional engineers can vary significantly depending on the industry and location. According to, the average salary of a professional engineer in Canada is $93,634 per year or $48.02 per hour. Entry-level positions start at $69,886 per year, while more experienced engineers make up to $147,769 per year.

Questions about College Transfer Pathway

What is the college transfer pathway?

Our college transfer pathway is unique in Canada. We are the only Canadian university that gives engineering technology diploma graduates the opportunity to enter into Year 3 of any of our six accredited Bachelor of Engineering (BEng) programs.

This means engineering technology diploma graduates can complete their BEng in just two academic years, and begin their path to becoming a professional engineer. 

Before enrolling in September, our post-diploma college transfer students must complete an 8-week online Summer Transition (College-to-University) Program from mid-June to mid-August to prepare for their BEng, and may be required to take a limited number of additional courses depending on their college program.

What’s the difference between a BEng (Bachelor of Engineering) and BTech (Bachelor of Technology)?

A Bachelor of Engineering (BEng) is a professional program that meets the Academic Requirements of Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO), enabling graduates to apply for a P.Eng license after passing a Professional Practice Exam and meeting the Experience Requirements. Full details are available from PEO.

Graduates of Bachelor of Technology (BTech) programs do not automatically satisfy the PEO’s Academic Requirements, and will be assigned a series of technical examinations depending on their program in order to apply for a P.Eng license.

Graduating with a BEng is the best and fastest route to becoming a professional engineer.

Can I apply from outside Ontario?

Yes. We have college transfer students join us from all across Canada.

What is the Summer Transition Program?

The Summer Transition (College-to-University) program is required for college transfer students prior to enrolling in their first year. This is designed to prepare students for their undergraduate degree and help make the transition from college to university. It is an online 8-week program that takes place between mid-June and mid-August.

How long is the Summer Transition Program?

Two months. Between mid-June and mid-August before the academic year begins in September.

What are “make-up” courses, and how many will I have to take?

When you apply, we examine your transcripts and the college calendars to determine if additional core courses are required.  If that’s the case, you’ll be asked to take a limited number of additional courses from the first and second year of our engineering programs.

How long will it take me to graduate?

Each post-diploma BEng program is a minimum of two academic years (September to April) in length following the Summer Transition Program prior to the start of the first full academic year of study.

What if my engineering technology program is in a different area of specialization than the six disciplines you offer?

Since most engineering technology specialties are very similar to one of our six programs, we are normally able to admit students from most engineering technology programs. The applicant’s transcripts and the college calendars are examined to determine if core courses are missing in the applicant’s technology program. If core courses are missing, you will be asked to take “make up” courses from the first and second year of our engineering programs. It is essential that students have the background in the core courses of the program in order to have the knowledge necessary to succeed at the engineering degree level.

Are there scholarships for college transfer students?

Yes. The University has scholarships specifically for transfer students and a variety of in-course awards and scholarships. Eligible students can obtain loans (and grants where available) for the Summer Transition courses and the regular academic year.

Can college transfer students do co-op at Lakehead?

Yes. We offer you the opportunity to take a co-op placement of up to 16 months between your first and second year with us.

Does it matter how long ago I graduated from college?

No, there is no time limit after graduating from college. We encourage students to apply within five years of completing their engineering technology diploma. We assess all applications individually, so please contact us if you’ve been out of college for longer than that.

What is the application deadline?

We accept applicants from college transfer students on a rolling basis. We encourage you to apply at the earliest opportunity in your final year of college.

Where do I send my college transcripts?

Once you have applied, you can submit your unofficial transcripts to:

If you are currently enrolled in the final year of your engineering technology program, please provide updated transcripts showing your fall term (second-last term) marks and winter term (final term) course registration as soon as possible.

Do you need my high school transcripts?

We typically only require your college transcripts.

How do I find out if I have been admitted?

You will be able to follow the progress of your application online. One you have applied to Lakehead University you will receive instructions on how to access the online student information portal myInfo. 

Through myInfo, you can check the status of your application, including the status of any required supporting documentation. You will also receive a personal Lakehead University email account. Check your Lakehead email account regularly for updates on your application. You will be informed officially once an admission decision has been made.

Will I be eligible for Master’s and PhD programs?

Yes. Many of our college transfer students go on to study for Master’s degrees and PhDs at Lakehead University and other universities.


Join our engineering community