Leader and experienced Professor with a demonstrated successful history of working in the higher education academia. In 2004, Dr. Basel Ismail earned his PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering from McMaster University. From 2004 to 2005, Dr. Ismail worked as a Postdoctoral Fellow at McMaster University. In August 2005, Dr. Ismail joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Lakehead University as an Assistant Professor. He became a tenured Associate professor in 2009.
Since 2016, Dr. Ismail has been serving as the leader and Chair of the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Lakehead University. Professor Basel Ismail is a recipient of a number of Merit Awards in Research, Teaching & Service to the Institution categories at Lakehead University. Currently, Dr. Ismail’s research areas of interest are focused on alternative, renewable and green energy engineering systems for power generation, heating and cooling.
Dr. Basel Ismail has edited four books, published 5 book chapters and 100+ technical reports and articles related to his research areas in reputable International Journals, Conferences and industry related projects. He is a member of Editorial Boards in a number of international journals and has served in Scientific Committees of International Conferences. During his research activities, Dr. Ismail has supervised & trained graduate students and senior undergraduate students in Mechanical Engineering with capstone projects and theses related to innovative renewable and alternative energy engineering & technologies.
PhD in Mechanical Engineering
Current Research Interests:
- Energy Conversion, Storage, and Efficiency Engineering
- Renewable Geothermal, Solar, Wind, Hydro Power Engineering
- Clean & Alternative Energy Technologies
- Power Generation, Heating and Cooling Technologies
- Engineering Heat Transfer and Thermodynamics
- Heat Recovery Technologies
- Thermoelectric Power Generation
- CO2 Gas Membrane Separation Technologies for Industrial and Automotive GHG emissions reductions
Previous Research Interests:
- Neutron Real-Time Radiography – NDT
- Automotive EGR Cooling
- Solar & Wind Desalination